23 May 2010

Television programs of 1978


This 9-minute segment of CBS' 50th anniversary television special introduces the celebrities associated with that network.  Back in 1978 I had just moved to Kentucky and started a new job; there was no internet and there were no personal computers, and cable TV was in its infancy, so we had time to watch television.

I kept track during this video and discovered I could remember over half of the 100+ personalities showcased.  If an equivalent video were shown with 2010 programs, I'd probably recognize less than 10% (unless it was the Weather Channel).

Found at the ever-interesting Miss C Recommends, where those of you younger than me may find more familiarity in the equivalent program for NBC from 1986.

4 comments:

  1. Well, that was nostalgic as all get out. The smiles on their faces... courtesy of Johnson & Johnson/Buick perhaps, but wow what a parade of nothing but filtering talented people into their designated days (copyright). I enjoyed it for what it was, but that was pretty shameless self-promotion.

    I think the most pathetic element is at the very end. It resembles a classmates reunion. "Remember when we had that great time?"

    "Yea, that was fun."

    "Remember when that one guy gave us the Beatles?"

    "Yeah, okay I gotta get going now."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. I remembered most of them, too. These days, if the celeb hadn't appeared on The Daily Show, The Colbert Report or Battlestar Gallactica, I probably wouldn't have a clue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is actually kind of cool. unfortunately (or it COULD be fortunate if we were playing some type of trivia game) i know a great deal more than 50% of them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cool!, but where were the actors from Dallas?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...