18 October 2010

Carrot

I think next year I either need to till my garden a little looser and deeper, or else thin the carrots after the seeds start to sprout.  It's no tragedy; I was growing the carrots as food for Black Swallowtail butterflies - which never found the plants.  Now I have to eat the carrots.

I think I'll leave some in the ground, because I found this today:
Most of the plants you named are true annuals; that is, they last one season and then die even if protected from frost. Carrots, however, are biennials; if you leave the roots in the ground, the tops will flower the following year and produce carrot seed for you (although the second-year carrots themselves will have turned bitter). It’s a fun garden project to leave a few carrots in the ground to go to seed, and the Queen’s Anne’s lace-like flowers are superb attractors of beneficial insects!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...